Saturday, October 23, 2010

Kate Update

Kate and I have been busy the last few weeks.  Here are a few of the things we've been up to:

1 - Visiting the Living Planet Aquarium with Carol and Ellie and Courtney and Barrett.  I got an annual pass because it was only $23, and I figure it will be worthwhile during the winter months when I'm going stir crazy.  Especially once Kate learns to walk.  Funny side note: Because Dave is Dave, he made me promise that I would visit at least 6 times this year in order to make it worth it (even though the regular fee is $9 - does that make any sense to you?).  If I don't, I owe him dinner.  So please, call me.  I'd be happy to go anytime :)

Here is what we saw: 


We loved the penguins, the giant frog, the glowing jellyfish, and best of all . . . we found Nemo!

2 - Kate learned to share. No really, she did.  Here's how it happened: every morning Dave has a bowl of cereal which is followed by an apple.  As soon as Kate sees that Daddy's got an apple, she crawls over as fast as she can, begging for a few bites.  So Daddy eats the outside, and then Kate sits on Daddy's lap and gnaws on the apple with her two bottom teeth (and by the way, she would probably sit there happily for two hours if I'd let her . . . I should try it and see how long she'd really keep at it).  Well, just last week, as Dave was holding her with the apple, Kate took a bite, and then reached up to offer Daddy some.  It was so adorable!  Crazy thing is she does it every single day.  A bite for Kate, a bite for Daddy.

A bite for Kate


A bite for Daddy


So this past Sunday at church, I picked up some tape from the library to use for my lesson.  Kate promptly stole it from me and decided it was delicious.  After a few minutes of enjoyment, Kate felt bad about hogging all the goodness, and offered some to me.  Thanks for sharing the tape, Kate!

3 - 9-month appointment, and Kate is now in the 5th percentile for weight (15 lbs 8 oz) and the 10th percentile for height (27 inches).  The doctor told me to slather butter on things that I give her.  I wish the doctor would tell me that.

4 - Three teeth!  One of Kate's top teeth broke through this week.  Kate, remarkably, has been a very happy girl, and mom's not complaining.  Pretty soon her pictures will look a lot different . . .


5 - Mom overcomes her fear of immunizations!  Since our insurance doesn't cover Kate's immunizations, we decided to do them down at the health clinic, where they are free (call me crazy, I don't like to pay out a lot of moolah when I can get something for free).  Unfortunately, because immunizations scare me to death, I've procrastinated for quite awhile . . . 9 months to be exact.  I just had this fear about Kate screaming and me feeling like a horrible mother.  Unexpectedly, Kate only cried for about 2 seconds, and then she was fine.  I guess I had nothing to be afraid of after all.

1 comment:

  1. We would love to go to the Aquarium with you guys some time. We love to go! It's so worth it to buy the annual pass. So just call me!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!