Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fresh Peach Pie



My mouth waters just remembering how delicious this peach pie is (yes, it's already been polished off).  And it is a lot of fun to make.  This recipe is a classic Grandma Kimball one, that is a must-make at this time of year.  Dave and I went to a local fruit stand and bought fresh peaches, and then went to our local grocery store and bought fresh frozen pie crust :)   The original plan had been to make the pie crusts from scratch, but when I realized I don't even have a rolling pin (which says more about my domesticity than any words ever could), the idea was quickly abandoned.

Ingredients:

1 pie crust (bake ahead of time)

6 large peaches
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons corn starch
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Heavy whipping cream
2-3 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Sauce:
Take two peeled peaches and use your hands to work them into a pulp.  Once they are thoroughly squished, bring peaches, water, sugar, and corn starch to a boil.  Once it starts boiling, remove from heat and add the butter and almond extract.  Stir and then set aside, waiting for the sauce to reach room temperature.



Pie:
Take the other four peaches, peel, and then cut into small slices.  Spread evenly in the pie crust.  Once the sauce has reached room temperature, pour it over the peaches in the crust.  Refrigerate at least two hours. 



Topping:
Whip one cup heavy whipping cream with several tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until thick.  Serve with pie.

Helpful hint:  Put your pie crust in the oven while you work on the sauce.  I like to overcook the pie crust a little so it's crunchy compared to the soft peaches.



So good!  We finished off the night by eating pie and watching old reruns of I Love Lucy.  What a perfect Saturday night!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think I got a rolling pin after 2 years of marriage for Christmas. I know what's going on your list this year... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! I love anything with peaches!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!