Saturday, September 18, 2010

Book Review

Thunderstruck by Eric Larson

 

If you like very interesting, yet very disturbing books, then this one is perfect.  This tells two interwoven stories, one about Guglielmo Marconi, the inventor of the "wireless," and Hawley Crippen, a soft-spoken, gentle man who becomes a murderer.  It is a true story, but one that I had never heard before, so it was very interesting to see the story unfold.

I have a love/hate relationship with how the author is heavy on details, because they can be both boring and fascinating.  That is one reason for the lower rating, the other is that I was just so disturbed by the actual murder that I had a hard time sleeping for the next couple of days.  It didn't help that Dave was out of town the night I finished the book, so I was all alone with my imagination . . . sitting here in the daylight it isn't quite as scary.  Truly, a fascinating book.

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of our 9th grade play about Guglielmo Marconi and how as the grandpa you said have a "sit" down but it came out a little differently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read his other book Devil in the White City? It's sooo good and so creepy! I love all the details. Historical fiction is my favorite! By the way, welcome to the blogging world. You are a great writer and have nothing to fear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney - reading this book totally made me think of that! Ah, the good old days. That was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg - I haven't read it because I was afraid it might be creepy too! Do you have any other recommendations of historical fiction - it's my one true love!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!