Thursday, September 16, 2010

My New Found Soapbox


Okay, I have to admit. I'm pretty excited. My very own soapbox. I can say whatever I want and no one can stop me. I can already feel the power going to my head. Deep breath.

My first item of business: the much-contested mosque near Ground Zero. I know this has already been going on for quite awhile, but I wanted to put my two cents in, for what it's worth. My position - let them build it! I am so grateful to live in a country where people are allowed to express their religious opinions - and not just when it's convenient! How can we say we abide by the Constitution if we make a decision that so flagrantly goes against everything it stands for?

Now, I'm not obtuse (just in case you didn't know). I can definitely see how this might rub some people the wrong way. There are some people out there who are sensitive about this, and understandably so. But I think we as Americans could go a long way in showing that we practice what we preach, and that we aren't so narrow-minded as to believe that a few people can define an entire religion. I say let them build the mosque/community center.

I'm anxious to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter. Even those who disagree.

For more information: http://www.watoday.com.au/world/critics-stymied-on-911-mosque-20100804-11fl4.html

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree to you. For the moderate Muslim (like the ones we came to know and love in Montreal), I think it's appropriate to be close to Ground Zero. Mainstream Muslims seem to be as much of a victim of terrorism as any American, since they have to now deal with the terrible stereotypes and racism and even have to stand guard against some of the extremist hatred and anti-Americanism that threatens to seep into their ranks. Being close to Ground Zero reminds them of what they're up against and maybe even provides some kind of support as they fight against those opposing forces.

    Besides, it's a little-known fact that their already exists a mosque even CLOSER to Ground Zero, but no one complains about that one because it's always been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see both sides of the argument. I completely agree with you, but I also believe that it could be insensitive to build a mosque so close (even if those who are sensitive about it would be wrongly sensitive).

    The reason I say this is think about it this way: If a group of F-LDS people did something similar and destroyed many lives, you better believe the LDS church would not decide to build their temple 8 blocks away. Even though they ARE different groups, there's still the sensitivity of those who lost loved ones.

    They are also claiming they want to build the mosque to build bridges and relationships with the people of the US. Well, if it's causing more ruckus than actually succeeding in forming bonds, then don't you think they'd change their mind and say "Oh, you know, it looks like our goals here aren't going as planned. We will build somewhere else". But that's not happening so it makes me beg the question of what the REAL reason for building the mosque might be.

    Regardless, I agree with you but I also have some views for the other side. I could go both ways and I respect both arguments! :)

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, welcome to the blogging world, I was pretty intimidated at first too, but now I am so happy that I am keeping a family history without having to scrapbook. :) Well, the reason for all the ruckus is that in Arabic culture when they had won a victory they would claim it by building an Arabic building on the city that they overtook. Correlation? Who knows, since 95% of Arabics are Muslim, but the majority of Muslims are not Arabic. So I can see that is should not be big deal, but I also see how it can be a BIG moral victory for people who want to destroy our country and everything it stands for, but just like everything else in our country when there is controversy people pull the race or discrimination card hoping to cover the real motives.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!