Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My German Chocolate Night Out, aka, The Gestapo is out of Town

Disclaimer: Don't get me wrong, I love my husband very much.  And I love having him home with me.  But . . . if he has to be gone, I might as well enjoy my night out, eh?

Okay, so maybe "night out" isn't a very appropriate description.  When your husband is out of town, and your daughter goes to bed at 6:30 pm, you're pretty much facing a "night in," but hey, let's not get technical.

I hate it when Dave travels, I honestly do.  And I've got 4 months of living without my husband to justify that hate.  However, if he is gone, you'd better believe that I'm going to make the most of it.  Let's start with a simple fact, and I apologize if I digress: Dave hates it when I make treats.  I know, I know, my talent of making the most scrumptiously unhealthy desserts you can imagine has gone to waste.  Just to clarify, he does like the desserts that I make.  He just doesn't like that he likes them.  Mostly because of what they do can do to the waistline.  He hates it when I make treats, he hates it when I buy goodies, or candy, or anything else that might be hanging out at the top of the food pyramid.  Namely, all of the stuff I live for.  Problem.

Thus came Dave's pronouncement: "If I find it, I'm throwing it away."  So let it be written, so let it be done.  Except for one little detail - the "if."  If he doesn't find it . . . well, I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.  I've become an exceptionally good "hider" - even given the very small square footage of our apartment.  Maybe it comes with the name.  For example . . . one of the best places I've ever come up with for my treat stash was in my closet.  In a bag, on a hanger, hidden amongst my countless shirts and skirts.  Brilliant, if I do say so myself.  But by the time Dave reads this, I will have moved it to another equally brilliant hiding place.

Now you see it.


Now you don't.


Pretty much, he's like the Gestapo (evil German police) and I'm a German citizen, trying to hide and protect the good things in this world.  Like peanut butter m&ms, and brownies.

So, what was my point again?  Oh yeah.  Dave's gone.  That means I can let the treats out of the bag, if you know what I mean.  I made German Chocolate cupcakes with my sister.  Mmmm, mmmm, good.  I'll have to post the recipe soon.  

Love 'em - you can see why.


I thought the "Give Thanks" sign in the background was quite appropriate, given what I was about to partake of.


I sat down to eat my delicious cupcake while watching two episodes of one of my all-time favorite tv shows - Law and Order.  It's too bad Dave doesn't get home until Friday . . .

5 comments:

  1. oh I love your relationship. This is too good of a post. Classic. Hiding treats. :) gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look delicious! I love your creative hiding place too. We should make treats at play date and eat them before our husband's get home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want one of those cupcakes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Heidi, this post cracks me up! You may seek refuge in the Ballard home anytime you like because Cole has THE biggest sweet tooth, ever! Those cupcakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the best hiding place in the entire house. Remarkably, it was in the china cabinet. And then Nathan found it. Now I'm on the hunt for a new one...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!