Friday, November 12, 2010

Goodbye, Harry?

 Image from http://filmkuw.com/

Rumor on the street has it that there are several nude scenes in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (part 1).  Okay, it's actually not a rumor, it's a fact.  And I didn't hear it on the street, I heard it from my mom, who heard it from . . . well, I don't know who she heard it from.  But I didn't think it sounded near as catchy to say: "My mom heard from somebody that it's a fact that there is nudity in the new Harry Potter movie."

Back to my point.  I did some research on it, and here's what I found out.  According to an article at nydailynews.net . . .

"The director of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" - the two-part final cinematic chapter based on the series of seven books - says Daniel Radcliffe will do several nude scenes in the upcoming movie, one of them of the steamy variety. 

Director David Yates told Britain's Daily Telegraph, "Dan has appeared nude in the past. There are a couple of scenes in the new film in which he will undress, but we're still thinking about how to present it."

In the upcoming movie, Yates explains, a monster tortures Harry's friend Ron (Rupert Grint) with images of Harry in some sort of tryst with Hermione Granger (Emma Watson), with whom Ron is passionately in love. 

"We'll create something that feels very sexy and very intriguing to bring about a reaction in Rupert," Yates told the Telegraph of the scene." 

Read more here.

What???  Why in the world does there need to be a nude scene in Harry Potter?!?  A book that is categorized in Children and Young Adult sections?  This is absurd!

Now maybe I don't have all the info.  Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion.  But really?  I know that Hollywood basically believes that adding sex and nudity to anything will make it sell more, but as a devoted Harry Potter fan, I feel like I've earned the right to put in my two cents.  This is supposed to be a kids/family oriented movie.  It's pretty sad when the movie production team forgets who their audience actually is.

I suppose the scene might be relatively harmless and they don't really show much.  Maybe they just talked it up as a nude scene to draw another crowd.  But still - that's really annoying!

My family was planning to all go to the new Harry Potter movie together, but now?  Not so sure.  I'm interested - if you've heard anything about this, I'd be glad to hear your thoughts/input!

2 comments:

  1. The really, really ridiculous part is its not even in the book. If you have to split it into two parts because there is so much going on that you can't take anything out of it, why would you add something new in? I mean, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really think I'll be seeing it either if this is what I have to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!